Monday, May 11, 2009

Pearl Jam European Tour '09

Pearl Jam is coming to Europe again, this time they are only doing 4 concerts (covering 3 countries): Rotterdam, Berlin, Manchester and London. The concerts will start on the 13/08 and finish on the 18th. I was able to secure tickets to watch them, but for a few moments I thought I wouldn't get to see them at all...

On the morning of 4th May I see an email listing a Pearl Jam concert in London. I immediately google for tickets and not only I don't find any, I find a post on their website's forum asking if they were sold out. At this point I had to leave to work thinking "shit".

Now on my work desk I do some more research, a little bit more calm, and I actually find that the tickets would only be available from 8th May onwards and that 10 Fan Club members could buy them early. Big relieve:)

I log in the Pearl Jam website and I see the presale tickets, this makes the idea of becoming a member grow inside my head. In the past I though of doing it so I could always secure tickets to their shows... A year of membership costs 25$ and gives you the right to buy presale tickets and exclusive fan material. After a few more minutes I take the plunge. Not only I buy a club membership and a London ticket for 2 (the only available) but I also buy the deluxe reedition of 10 which includes the never released MTV Unplugged DVD and buy the Showbox DVD. Nice expenditure for a morning...

The next day I start thinking about something a little bit more wild: going to Rotterdam and watch the first concert of this tour with an old Portuguese friend who lives in Amsterdam. I sent him an email but didn't get a timely reply. Without knowing if he would be available or not I made the decision to buy the tickets. At this point there were no more presale tickets on the 10 club so I turned to Livenation.nl the website that would sell Rotterdam's tickets. They did a presale on the 7th an the actual sale on the 8th both starting at 9:00 GMT. On the 7th I only got to their website at 10:07 and only a few seated tickets remained so I decided to wait till the 8th. Next day I started monitoring their website from 8 and at 8:53 I was able to get access to the booking platform and was able to add to standing tickets to the shopping basket. During the checkout process I chose a buying option that was only available in the Netherlands resulting in me losing the tickets. I tried to rebook but at this time (8:59) all the the arena tickets were gone! Only a few seated tickets available. Hoping some tickets would become available the same way I lost mine I strarted the desperate manouver of hitting refresh several times till I get tickets. Funny how the colours would change at each refesh, tickets would disappear and reappear. Sometimes some tickets would appear at the arena but when I tried to buy them it would fail. But at around 8:17 it didn't fail and I was able to get the tickets:)

Conclusion: this year I'll watch the first and last Pearl Jam concert of the European Tour. It's a pitty they are not going to Portugal though:(

No comments: