Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pearl Jam @ Shepherds Bush Empire

One week ago, Pearl Jam announced what every fan wishes: an "intimate" concert for 2000 people on the welcoming Shepherds Bush Empire. If you consider most their concerts are for 15 000-50 000, it's quite a limited opportunity. Even though I already had bought other tickets for their European tour, this was the concert to be at. One lifetime opportunity and it was happening in the city where I'm only living for 18 months. I couldn't miss it but it would be a painful process to get tickets...

First I pre-ordered their album Backfixer from hmv.com to be eligible to buy the pre-sale tickets on Tuesday. Tuesday arrived and I never received the email with the link :( From what you can read in the Pearl Jam forum, the tickets disappeared in something like 2 minutes.

Second attempt, Ten Club (the fan club) lottery. I didn't get them... Only hope to wait for the general sale today.

1st ray of hope: hmv recognised there was an issue sending me the email with the pre-sale link so they sent me an email yesterday with a link so I could have some advantage today at 9:00.

Before 9 I was refreshing my browser like mad at both the hmv site and the general sale site. 9'clock arrived and I was able to start ordering tickets from hmv but at some point it failed with some error I couldn't get through. On the general sale site, I got in, put 2 tickets on my basket and when I submit the last form I get an error complaining about the phone number format (because it had the + sign). I corrected it, repeated some steps and as I checkout the tickets they were no longer available! Argh!!! From then on I was unable to even start a new order and I was feeling completely gutted...

2nd ray of hope: hmv sends me an email stating there was a technical issue during the morning and that they would repeat the sale again at 3:30. The only problem was that I would have a meeting with a vendor representant at that time. When he arrived I told him I would need 15 min of "personal time" around 3:30 which he didn't mind at all. The funny part was that at 3:30 he actually stayed by my side me and help me with the ordering process. 3:30 came and everything went very smoothly. 2 tickets for the 3rd level bought:) I couldn't contain myself and lifted my arms in excitement. Funny thing to do during work:D

I still don't who will come with me to the concert but I'm sure it's going to be one of our best concerts ever! Today I'm smiling :D

No comments: