Thursday, September 30, 2010

My first job suggestion got accepted!

Now you are thinking "he proposed a major project that will save his company several thousand dollars per year" or "he optimized a business process making it 50% quicker"... not really, but let me tell you the whole story to make you suffer a bit.

On Monday I talked with my manager for the first time since I joined the team and we started with some casual conversation. He asked me how was to be back in Portugal after having worked in London. I explained to him some of the professional and cultural differences like having long lunches (essentially eating away from your desk) during weekdays.

Today, on the street, as I was walking to get my takeaway lunch I bumped into him walking the opposite direction (with his takeaway lunch). He asked me what I was going to get and then, to my surprise, he pulled Monday's topic and asked if I didn't miss the Portuguese lunches and Portuguese food. An obvious YES was my reply but I added "we should do a team lunch now and then to improve team bonding". He said "good idea" but I thought he was just being polite.

Some hours later I receive a calendar invite for a team lunch next week! He was serious :)