Friday, July 16, 2010

From this water I shall not drink

In Portugal we have a proverb that goes like this "Never say from this water I shall not drink" (Nunca digas desta água não beberei). It basically means you never know how next day will be, so don't deny something as you may need/do it later.

7 months ago I was saying I wouldn't live in London again. I was careful enough to keep my doors open, but honestly I didn't think I would comeback. Tuesday I was proven wrong as the good old proverb goes...

Don't get me wrong, London is a lovely city, with lots of attractions and full of professional opportunities (and in my case friends). But at my current stage I don't feel it's an advantage over living in Portugal. The personal trade-off balances the professional one.

On Tuesday I started my afternoon cancelling my contract for London and ended it saying count me in. What happened? I had an unconfirmed offer from the same company to work in another city and I decided to bet on that one. But when I said no to London I entered a corporative game. Immediately that unconfirmed offer became void, I was pressured to accept London and get an opportunity to be transferred one year later to that city. I wasn't satisfied with that and expressed an "opportunity" wasn't enough. A few hours later I get a call guaranteeing they would do their best to secure my transfer as it still depends on a visa and my performance, without any traps or stunts. So that's it, London for a year and a new place afterwards :)

From this water I shall drink again!

No comments: