Sunday, November 30, 2008

iPhone 2.2 Jailbroken firmware installed

It was not easy, and I cannot say I have installed everything I wanted but it's pretty much done. The new 2.2 firmware has some nice features, the one making more noise is certainly google street view, but the most interesting to me is the ability to calculate bus and walk routes. You can read about this here.

One of the issues I had was not being able to use Cydia after the firmware was installed. Cydia is the most important jailbrake application as it acts as an App Store to install apps not allowed in the actual App Store. Without Cydia is like not having a Jailbroken iPhone at all. Apparently the problem was that I chose several packages while building the firmware, the correct procedure should have been: "When using pwnage, do not select any package in the cydia settings. Just select Cydia (and Installer) in the custom packages setting." (source: modmyi.com/forums). As I didn't wan to repeat the lengthy step of building the firmware again, I used Quickpwn over my jailbroken iPhone and it worked! So if this happens to you is always something you may consider doing. Because you've used the jailbroken firmware you've created you don't nead to fear updating the baseband, as it remains the same.

Second issue, the mail app kept on crashing instantly after starting it, this would only happen if I had my gmail account set. After googling for a while I've find out this on a forum: "All is well. It turns out that it was a jailbreaking problem. To those with this problem it has to do with intelliscreen. Since the update for Intelliscreen is out Cydia will tell and for those who patch Intelliscreen you will have the problem with your mail app. To end this problem just update intelliscreen open it up so it tell you that your ten day trial is expired then patch it with the 2.29 patch. Cydia will think that you are running 2.30 but you are not. This will fix your mail app crashing problem" (source: forums.macrumors.com).
After the jailbreak I only had the option of installing Intelliscreen 2.32, and it keeps on interfering with mail, so I deactivate it for the time being.

After this update I've discovered a great Cydia app: Installous!. It allows you to install cracked apps straight from your iPhone, like the App Store. You'll need to add the repo to your Cydia: cydia.hackulo.us. You can also install the patch to run cracked .IPAs on your iPhone straight from that repo.

No comments: